About Us

Our Vision 

Our vision is to participate in a society which will accept all people and strive for greater compassion. We  will seek to live out Christ's selfless love untill we see God's justice realised.

History

Hastings, “the Heart of Hawke’s Bay”, is an attractive commercial centre serving the Heretaunga Plains, a rural hinterland of fruit-growing and farmland, with upwards of 70 vineyards.

The name “Hastings” was adopted in 1873 when the notional Karamu Junction on the new railway was renamed. The railway route south from Napier opened in 1874. A syndicate known as the “Twelve apostles” had bought the land in 1870 from Thomas Tanner who in turn had leased the land from Maori in 1867. The town was constituted as a Town District in 1884 and incorporated as a borough in 1886 [For more detail click here  or see Mary Beatrice Boyd City of the Plains - A History of Hastings, Victoria University Press (1984), also available on Google Books]

The first Presbyterian service in the town was held by the Havelock North minister, Rev. William Nichol in the Hastings school in 1881. The Market Street Church was opened on 11th February 1883. A new parish of Hastings and Clive was created in October 1889.

The first Church was enlarged in 1894. A new church building on an adjacent site was opened on 30th September 1906, the old church being retained as Sunday School rooms. In 1935 the old church, now a hall, was removed to make room for a new St Andrew’s Hall. The second wooden church was demolished in 1979 and the present church opened on 9th August 1980.

St Andrews Church - Hastings

Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand (PCANZ)

Presbyterianism derives from its form of government: elders (presbyters) share with ordained ministers of word (i.e. preaching) and sacrament (baptism, communion) in the running of the parish.

Parishes are grouped into presbyteries and representative elders and ministers of each parish meet for mutual accountability and support. The national church is governed by a biennial General Assembly, where each parish is again represented.

PCANZ belongs to the Council for World Mission (based in London) and both the World Communion of Reformed Churches and World Council of Churches (both in Geneva).

We are part of the Gisborne-Hawke’s Bay Presbytery. We are supporters of Presbyterian Support East Coast, the social services arm of the Church.

Locally we are pleased to cooperate and to share some services of worship with St Matthew’s Anglican Parish – our near neighbours in King Street.

Future

Although anchored in the past, we try to be open to the future. We need to respond to people from a wide range of traditions. The “good news” lived and preached by Jesus of Nazareth is that all are welcome to participate in God’s kingdom – not a place but a way of life that acknowledges the sovereignty of the God of Jesus the Christ, the God who is Love.

As we seek to realise that kingdom amongst us, the challenge is to remove the barriers to community that human nature constructs: ethnic, class and gender. Status outside the church is put aside inside the community of the church.

We are all children of God. In following the way of Jesus, we learn that there need be no barrier between ourselves and God.

The Bible taken seriously not literally

The Bible taken seriously not literally

The table focus for Communion services

The table focus for Communion services